When most people think about saving gas, they think of carpooling, riding a bicycle and taking public transportation. However, these gas-saving tricks do not apply to everyone.
Here are some car maintenance, gas buying and car driving habits that will cut down on your gas use.
- When driving on the interstate, use the air conditioner instead of having the windows open. Having the windows open on the highway makes your car less aerodynamic, which leads to your car using more gasoline.
- Use cruise control on the interstate, however, deactivate the cruise control when driving up and down hills.
- Avoid suddenly and quickly accelerating your car since that guzzles gas.
- Remove bike and ski racks when they are not being use so your car is more aerodynamic.
- Try to avoid stop-and-go traffic so you don’t waste gas (and so you can save time!).
- Buying gas at the coolest time of the day — which is in the early morning or late evening — makes the gas more dense. This is means that you get more gas for your money because fuel pumps measure by volume, not density.
- By only filling your car’s gas tank halfway, you use less gas weight because your car is lighter. If you can’t keep filling up your car more frequently, just make sure to not over fill your gas tank.
- Keep your car tires properly inflated because it saves gas, has it last longer and is safer.
- Make sure your car gets regular service checks.
[button link=”http://www.mcgrathautoblog.com/news-and-events/get-tires-and-an-oil-change-at-mcgrath-in-dubuque/” color=”green” newwindow=”yes”] Get Tires and an Oil Change at McGrath’s State-of-the-Art Service Center in Dubuque, IA![/button] [button link=”http://www.mcgrathautoblog.com/news-and-events/oil-changes-at-mcgrath-cedar-rapids-and-hiawatha-locations/” color=”green” newwindow=”yes”] Get an Oil Change at One of McGrath’s Four Locations in Cedar Rapids and Hiawatha![/button]
Not only does McGrath Auto focus on helping you find the perfect car at a great price, our service and parts departments are open extended hours to perform routine oil changes, warranty repairs, tire changes and maintenance work. Make an appointment today!
[button link=”http://www.mcgrathauto.com/new-inventory/index.htm” newwindow=”yes”] New Car Inventory[/button] [button link=”http://www.mcgrathauto.com/kelley-blue-book.htm” color=”green” newwindow=”yes”] Trade Assessment Tool[/button] [button link=”http://www.mcgrathauto.com/contact.htm” newwindow=”yes”] Contact Us[/button]