The Power of Positive Thought
What are positive affirmations?
Positive affirmations are a daily self-talk technique that build us up and make us strong. They are positive, present-tense statements or thoughts that your tell yourself regarding you, your behavior, or the situation you find yourself in.
What can positive affirmations do?
Positive affirmations help us to develop overall positive attitudes. These statements empower us to take chances and be our best. Positive thoughts about our work situation help us to challenge those self-doubts and fears we have about ourselves.
Tips for Positive Thinking
- Get over feeling funny! – Doing something new takes practice. Positive self-affirmations can feel unfamiliar and so it may feel funny at first. Get over it. It doesn’t usually feel funny to talk negatively to ourselves, but praise can feel awkward. Don’t worry if it feels funny. In time, this feeling will diminish.
- Begin your affirmation with “I.” – The more personal you make the message, the more you will begin to believe it.
- Use the present tense. – Positive self talk should be in the present tense or in the “here-and-now”. This gives the statements more power. Avoid words like can, could, or should.
- Focus on behaviors you can control. – It’s not possible to change or control a co-workers behavior. Focus positive affirmations on you and your goals, rather than waiting for someone else to change.
- Repeat them often. – Repetition facilitates learning. The more positive self-talk you do, the more it becomes a part of you. Writing these down helps ingrain these thoughts as well.
Examples of Positive Affirmations
- “I feel great about the way I do my job.”
- “I am in charge of my life.”
- “I deserve to be happy.”
- “My career lets me express who I truly am.”
- “I am proud of myself for the accomplishments I have made.”
Relax, De-stress, and Think Positive Thoughts!
Ways to distress and have a positive experience during a long work day:
- Positive Affirmations- They are positive, present-tense statements or thoughts that your tell yourself that build us up and make us strong.
- Maintain a sense of humor! – Actively look for humor in the daily stresses of your life. This is positive way to cope with stress.
- Eat a York Peppermint Pattie! – The peppermint can help you over come fatigue, and the dark chocolate causes your brain to release endorphins which have been called the “happy chemical.”
- Add Some Green to your workspace- Bring a plant or flowers to your workspace to help brighten your mood
- Stretch it Out – If you sit all day long, stretch your muscles to relieve any built up tension.
Feeling stressed out? Are you or a family member having trouble finding the good in work or life? Mercy EAP is here to help! Call 319-398-6694 or 1-800-383-6694 for free, confidential counseling.