Make sure that you and your car are prepared for winter’s snow and ice. Here are some driving and car maintenance tips to help avoid accidents and unforeseen car troubles.
- Stock your trunk with emergency equipment: jumper cables, road salt, a flashlight, a shovel, blankets, warm clothes and kitty liter to put under tires for improved traction.
- Make sure your battery is ready to handle the long winter. Hot weather from the summer wears the battery down quickly, which leads to there being less electrical power once winter comes around. In winter, your vehicle uses more energy in order to get the cold engine going. According to AAA, motor clubs replace the highest number of batteries in January.
- Make sure your tires are not bald. The tread on tires help the tires grip the ground so your car does not slide all over the road. Make sure to have new and/or winter tires to improve traction so you can reduce the chance of collisions or skidding. Learn how to check the tread on your tires and why it is important to invest in winter tires.
- Have your brakes inspected to see if your car needs new pads or rotors. Good brakes help cut down on the stopping time.
- Since the sun goes down sooner and there are frequent low-visibility conditions in the winter, make sure that all of your exterior lights work. Our certified technicians at the all-new, state-of-the-art McGrath Volkswagen of Dubuque Service Center can replace your exterior lights. We service any make and model.
- Make sure your windshield washer system works so the snow and road salt don’t obscure your view.
- If your car starts skidding, steer in the direction that you want the front of the vehicle to go.
- Practice driving in the snow in a safe location, like an empty parking lot, so you can get a feel of how snow and ice affects your car’s brakes, steering and traction.
[button link=”http://www.mcgrathautoblog.com/news-and-events/oil-changes-at-mcgrath-cedar-rapids-and-hiawatha-locations/” type=”big” newwindow=”yes”] Get your oil changed at one of McGrath’s four service locations in Hiawatha and Cedar Rapids[/button] [button link=”http://www.mcgrathautoblog.com/news-and-events/get-tires-and-an-oil-change-at-mcgrath-in-dubuque/” type=”big” newwindow=”yes”] Get Tires and an Oil Change in Dubuque, Iowa![/button]
[button link=”http://www.mcgrathauto.com/new-inventory/index.htm” newwindow=”yes”] New Car Inventory[/button] [button link=”http://www.mcgrathauto.com/kelley-blue-book.htm” color=”green” newwindow=”yes”] Trade Assessment Tool[/button] [button link=”http://www.mcgrathauto.com/contact.htm” newwindow=”yes”] Contact Us[/button]
The McGrath Family of Dealerships has been proudly serving Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Waterloo and Dubuque area with great service.
Have poor credit or are a first time car buyer? All McGrath Auto customers get a guaranteed credit approval. Plus, we offer low prices and great financing options.