Congratulations on your new Wrangler JL! With a new body style, removing the hard top of the Wrangler may look confusing at first glance, but we’ve laid out easy steps on how to remove the hard top on the Wrangler JL. Before you start with step one, you’re going to need a few things:
- The tool kit that came with the Wrangler hard top
- A friend or two
Simple Steps to Remove the Wrangler JL Hard Top
After you’ve gathered everything you need to remove the hard top, you can now follow these easy steps or follow the video.
- Sit in the drivers seat and pull down the visors.
- You’re going to see two latches where the visors were, pull those down.
- Looking behind you, there will be four levers that you will need to turn and two levers in the front.
- Step out of the Wrangler
- Remove the driver side freedom panel first
- Make sure the driver’s window is rolled down and push the freedom panel up from inside the window.
- Remove the passengers side panel the same way you did with the driver’s side.
- Next move to the back of the Wrangler.
- Disconnect the glass washer by pushing the silver button and pulling down.
- Next, behind the button is a cable with a red lever that you will need to push down and pull out.
- Open up the Jeep tool kit that came with your Wrangler and use the tools to loosen the bolts.
- Loosen up and remove the bolts for the hard top.
- At the top of the wrangler, remove the bolts attached.
- Grab a friend or two and lift the remaining top from the Wrangler.
With the hard top off your new Wrangler JL, it’s now time to enjoy the fresh air! Check out our selection of Jeep Wranglers for sale in Cedar Rapids or shop our full inventory online at McGrathAuto.com.
Get More with McGrath!