We’ve all been there, you tried to turn on your vehicle, but it just isn’t starting up. No big deal, we will explain exactly how to jump your vehicle safely so you can get back on the road. To jumpstart your vehicle, you need just a few things, jumper cables and a running car.
Before jumping your dead vehicle, turn off all powered elements within the vehicle you will be using to jumpstart your vehicle such as:
Warning: Use of jumper cables may damage electronic ignition systems and alternatively fueled vehicles. Check you owner’s manual to confirm.
How to Place the Jumper Cables on the Vehicles
Warning: Do not touch cable clams end to end!
- Place the red cable on the positive terminal of the dead vehicle battery
- Place the red cable on the positive terminal of the vehicle that will be used to boost the dead battery.
- Place the black cable on the negative terminal of the vehicle that will be used to boost the dead battery.
- Place the black cable on bare metal of the dead vehicle.
- Start the dead car
Warning: If the dead vehicle refuses to start DON’T keep trying or you might damage the starter.
6. Leave the car that was just jumped running for at least two minutes.
7. Remove all cables in the opposite order from how they were applied.
If your vehicle still does not start after attempting to jump it, now is the time to take it to a service center. The issue may be more than just a dead battery. If you have any questions or need help servicing your vehicle, the service team at McGrath is here and ready to help. Contact us today to schedule your service appointment.