Did you know that vehicle death rates are three times higher at night than during the day even though there are far fewer people that drive at night?
Lack of sunlight affects a driver’s depth perception, peripheral vision and color recognition. The driver has to be more alert and focused because night driving is straining.
Not only is it more difficult to see at night, there is a greater chance of crossing paths with an intoxicated driver.
Here are some tips:
- Having properly aligned headlights improves road coverage and it will not blind oncoming traffic.
- Properly functioning brake lights and turn signals helps prevent drivers hit your vehicle.
- Make sure that the interior of the windshield is clean so there is as little glare as possible.
- Maintain a larger driving distance between you and the car in front of you.
- Focus your eyes on the right edge of the road to avoid glare from oncoming traffic.
- Avoid smoking while driving at night because the smoke clouds affect your vision.
- Make sure to get regular eye exams. Drivers 40 and younger should have an eye exam at least once every three years. Drivers 41 to 60 should have an eye exam at least once every two years. Drivers wiser than 60 are recommended to have an eye exam once a year.
- Anti-reflective lenses help if you do not need glasses but struggle seeing at night.
- Do not drink and drive! It’s against the law.
- Avoid driving at night when you are tired. Pull over at a stop or on the side of the road to take a nap or walk around until you feel more alert.
[button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/new-inventory/index.htm” newwindow=”yes”] New Car Inventory[/button] [button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/kelley-blue-book.htm” color=”green” newwindow=”yes”] Trade Assessment Tool[/button] [button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/contact.htm” newwindow=”yes”] Contact Us[/button]
McGrath has provided the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City area with high quality vehicles and unmatched prices for over 60 years!
Have poor credit or are a first time car buyer? All McGrath Auto customers get a guaranteed credit approval. Plus, we offer low prices and great financing options.