Before enjoying your beautifully decorated Christmas tree and its woodsy aroma in your home, you need to figure out how to transport it from the lot.
Learn how to protect your car and your tree this holiday season with these tips from the National Christmas Tree Association!
- When picking a Christmas tree, make sure that it is not too large for your car‘s cargo area, roof or bed (if you have a truck). If you do place the tree in your car’s cargo area, your car will probably be covered with pine needles.
- Get your tree netted before placing it on or in your car or truck. This will make the tree manageable to place in and take out of your car, and it will make sure that your tree does not loose too many needles.
- Make sure to have plenty of rope or cord to secure the tree to the roof rack or to the cargo hooks.
- Lay the tree on a tarp or on a blanket. The tree’s needles can scratch the exterior paint, and the sap from the tree will make your car sticky. If you put the tree in the cargo area, the tarp or blanket will help prevent your car getting wet, sticky and covered in pine needles.
- If you are transporting your tree in a pickup truck, give your tree extra protection (like an extra old blanket). There can be hot spots in the bed, like from the exhaust, which can damage the tree’s needles.
- Make sure that the tree is centered and the trunk is at the front end of the car. This helps keep the tree stable and protect the tree from wind damage.
- Before driving off with your tree, tug on the tree to make sure it is securely fastened to the vehicle.
- Drive slowly and try to avoid the highway because the weight of the tree will affect your car’s center of gravity and emergency handling.
When you take your tree down after the holidays, make sure to use extra blankets when taking your tree to a recycling center because the needles will be dry and will want to scratch your vehicle.
Happy Holidays from the McGrath Family!
Visit one of our many locations and contact us today if you have any questions or would like to test drive a car!
The McGrath Family of Dealerships has been proudly providing the Cedar Rapids / Iowa City / Waterloo / Dubuque area with loyal service and great financing options.