According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, about 100,000 of police-reported car crashes are a result of fatigue each year.
Did you know that “Multi-million dollar settlements have been awarded to families of crash victims as a result of lawsuits filed against individuals as well as businesses whose employees were involved in drowsy driving crashes.”
A sleep deprived motorist qualifies as a reckless driver, which means that they can be convicted of a vehicular homicide.
- Get plenty of sleep. Most adults require seven to nine hours of sleep a night.
- Avoid alcohol and sedating medications. If you need more clarification, please ask a doctor.
- Don’t eat a large, heavy meal before driving.
If you are falling asleep while driving:
- Pull over at a stop or on the side of the road to take a nap or walk around until you feel more alert.
- Drink a beverage with caffeine.
On road trips:
- Make sure to take enough brakes to give your eyes a break. For every 100 miles or two hours of driving, try to take at least one break.
- Try to have a companion to talk to and to share the driving with.
- Do not plan to drive for long periods of time past the time you you are usually go to sleep.
[button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/new-inventory/index.htm” newwindow=”yes”] New Car Inventory[/button] [button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/kelley-blue-book.htm” color=”green” newwindow=”yes”] Trade Assessment Tool[/button] [button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/contact.htm” newwindow=”yes”] Contact Us[/button]
McGrath has provided the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City area with high quality vehicles and unmatched prices for over 60 years!