Iowa has more car-deer accidents than almost any other state!
Here are some tips for driving during deer mating season, which is from October through December:
- Deer are most active during sunrise and sunset, especially during mating season. Make sure to be cautious and wear seat belts.
- Use high beams whenever the road is free of traffic.
- Deer can become mesmerized by steady, bright lights. If you see a deer, flash your lights or honk.
- Be on the lookout for deer crossing signs since they are placed in high-traffic deer crossing areas.
- Do not speed through forested areas since that is where most deer live.
- Do not swerve to avoid a deer because it can cause a head-on collision with a car, take you off the road or lead to a collision into a tree.
- If you were involved in a car-deer accident, report it to local authorities and the insurance company.
- Make sure to have comprehensive car insurance since standard insurance does not always cover damage done by something other than another vehicle.
[button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/new-inventory/index.htm” newwindow=”yes”] New Car Inventory[/button] [button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/kelley-blue-book.htm” color=”green” newwindow=”yes”] Trade Assessment Tool[/button] [button link=”https://www.mcgrathauto.com/contact.htm” newwindow=”yes”] Have Questions? Contact Us[/button]
For over 60 years, the McGrath Family of Dealerships has been proudly providing the Cedar Rapids / Iowa City / Waterloo / Hiawatha Corridor region with high quality vehicles, unmatched prices, and informed, friendly consultants that simplify your car buying experience.