May 16th through May 20th is Bike to Work Week! The McGrath Body Shop Fitness Center and McGrath Wellness Director Lindsay Olson are encouraging McGrath employees to get active.
If McGrath employees ride their bike to work and take a photo of their bike outside of the car dealership that they work at, then they will receive a $15 gift card to Northtowne Cycling and Fitness.
If employees do not own a bicycle, then they are all encouraged to stop by the fitness center to take a spin class. Depending how long you ride a spin bike, you will also receive a gift card.
Biking two to four hours a week can improve your health. Cycling is great because:
- It is a low impact workout that causes less injuries and strain on the body than other forms of exercise
- It is a great muscle workout since it uses all major muscle groups
- Unlike other sports, cycling does not require high levels of physical activity
- Cycling is easy! Once you learn how to ride a bike, you don’t forget how to do it.
- Cycling increases stamina, which is the body’s physical and mental strength that allows you to do something for a prolonged period of time.
- You can make cycling as intense as you want. If you are recovering from an injury or illness you can take it slow, but it can be built up to be a demanding high-intensity workout.
- It is time efficient, meaning you can get a workout in while using it as a mode of transportation.
Some of the health benefits of cycling include:
- Improved posture and coordination
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Decreased stress levels
- Decreased body fat levels
- Strengthened bones
- Improved joint mobility
- Increased muscle strength
- Increased flexibility
Here at McGrath Auto, we care about our employees’ overall health and happiness. The McGrath Body Shop Fitness Center offers employees machines (treadmills, elliptical machines, weights), classes, personal training session and health tips to all McGrath employees and their spouses. Learn more here.
If you would like to join our team, check out our employment opportunities!
Visit one of our several locations in Cedar Rapids, Coralville / Iowa City, Dubuque and Davenport!
Not only does McGrath Auto — Eastern Iowa’s favorite new and used car dealership — focus on helping you find the perfect car at a great price, our service department is open extended hours to perform routine oil changes, warranty repairs, tire changes and maintenance work. Make an appointment today!